Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

20 May 2010

Focus on What You Have

I have recently been consumed by the incessant thoughts of a failed friendship. The subject comes up in all of my conversations and when I am idly sitting in class, at work, in bed, on the bus, etc. my thoughts linger to this friendship that will not seem to work no matter how hard I try to force it. So therein lies the problem. I am trying to force it. I have learned through many experiences in my short life that you cannot force anything. If something is meant to happen, it will force itself upon you, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. And the same is true for the converse, if something is not supposed to happen, no matter how hard you try to make it work, nature will not allow it.

My aunt was visiting me this past weekend, and we had an amazing time together (as always). She gave me advice that I really should apply to my life. She said she's tired of people focusing on things that they don't have, rather than what they do. Rather than obsessing over this friendship that I cannot seem to make work, why don't I focus on the wonderful people I do have in my life? The friends that listen to me rant and rave about this failing friendship. The friends that are always there, a phone call away, to listen to me cry, or tell me they love me and are happy when I am, who would do just about anything for me.

So that's what I will do, I will love my friends and family and give them the attention and respect they deserve, and you should to :).

No comments:

Post a Comment