Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

09 July 2010

Sourdough Starter

So I just graduated. I am looking for a job, and I have a nice enough friend and brother to let me stay with them until I figure things out. In return, and to keep myself busy and indulge in one of my favorite hobbies that I have neglected in being an undergraduate Biochemistry student, I am cooking and baking.

Today I am attempting to make a sourdough starter and Molten Chocolate Cakes, both from the Williams-Sonoma Cookbook. See my next post for the Molten Chocolate Cakes.

This is my version of their recipe. The sourdough starter requires a 48 hour standing period. Today I'll whip it together and keep posting updates about how it goes. I'll then do a post with the finished product and the loaf of bread I'll make with it. :)

Sourdough Starter

2 cups lukewarm water
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder


Mix the water and yogurt in a bowl until the yogurt is completely dissolved in the water. Make sure the water is not too hot, it must be lukewarm, a good test is to stick your finger in and count to 10, if that is bearable, you are good, if you have to take your finger out because you cannot bear it, then it's too hot. The yogurt may separate a little to the bottom, this is normal, but it is really helpful to use a whisk and spin the whisk between your palms as if rubbing your hands back and forth (but with a whisk in between). Then add the flour and buttermilk powder, again, using the whisk, make sure you get all the clumps out.


The finished product will have the consistency of pancake batter. Put it in a big jar or container and cover it loosely with cheesecloth or plastic wrap. And let it sit for 48 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment