Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

07 June 2012

Never a Dull Moment

If you have ever met me, you know that this is the catch phrase of my life.  There is always something that comes up, I discover I am not a citizen of the country in which I have resided for 99% of my life, of which I have voted in elections, attended university, etc.  Or I have a job in a foreign country and while on vacation to visit my family, my visa paperwork goes through, I'm unable to pick it up in country and I find a new job that I really like and decide to take and leave all of my belongings in the foreign country.

China town

So anyways.  I am en route to Jordan.  I'm en a very long route.  In booking my flight, I found it to be cheaper to fly from Monterey-San Francisco-Frankfurt-Amman.  I, shamefully, let money make my decision for me and am now suffering the consequences.  My flight from Monterey was super delayed because President Obama was in San Francisco, so the flight that goes SF-Monterey, back and forth, was unable to get off the tarmac and my 38 minute flight was delayed, causing me to miss my connecting flight to Frankfurt.  United gave me $30 in restaurant vouchers and re-booked me for the following day.  I laughed to myself and took the BART to Powell and walked up the steep hill to the top of Powell to stay with a dear friend of mine.  Luckily I know somebody here, otherwise I'd be spending the night in the airport, and speaking from experience, that is no fun.  I caught up with my friend.  We talked and talked, as I've been known to do.  We went to sleep and in the morning, I got up, took care of some business for work and headed down to the Ferry Building.
Ferry Building 
I walked down Sutter St., through China town, to the Embarcadero, where I found myself at my destination, the Ferry Building.  If you have not been, you must go.  It's an old ferry building, converted into a chic, 21st century indoor market. 
Inside the Ferry Building, Scharfen Berger (chocolate), Miette (bakery), Ciao Bella (gelato), Acme Bread (bakery)
It's a food connoisseur's paradise.  I don't want to say just food, it's for people who enjoy the finer things in life. Speckled with bakeries, chocolatiers, cafés, flower shops, wine shops, book stores amongst specialty shops, I could spend days in here.

I spent the some time in the Ferry Building, just admiring and taking photographs and contemplating life.  Eventually another friend of mine, who lives in San Francisco, picked me up and drove me to the airport.  I was extra early today, to ensure that no funny business would/could happen with my flight.    I ate lunch at the airport, sushi, using the vouchers that United Airlines had so graciously given me and wrote this post. 

Flowers and goodies 

Cheese :) 


I thought about life, I think it's kind of funny, what makes people appreciate the finer things and what makes others just settle for, whatever.  Is it the way we were raised? Nature? Nurture? I mean why do some people appreciate nice things and others get bent out of shape about money?  Is this a problem with humanity or is it just something we experience now in the 21st century?  I am going to say it's an issue we've dealt with since the existence of human beings and culture.  Please excuse any mistakes in this post, but I believe they are boarding my flight! More to come...
Chocolate



No comments:

Post a Comment