Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

03 August 2012

Perception

“And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be crazy, by those who could not hear the music.” - Friedrich Nietzsche 


It's really amazing how you perceive other people.  I get this a lot and it annoys me.  Whether it be because one is young, female, male, athletic, loud, quiet, wears high heels, laughs a lot, the list is endless.  You see someone and you subconsciously, or not so subconsciously (which is worse) make an assumption.  You are young so you have no life experience.  You wear high heels therefore you have no brain.  Old people don't know how to have fun.  Etc. Etc.  


I'm sure you've heard it, to assume is to make an ASS out of U and ME (spells ASSUME).  So don't make assumptions.  Well, that's easy to say.  Try not to make assumptions?  Or if you make an assumption, try not to act or open your mouth about it?  Be aware that your assumptions could hurt somebody else?  I end these phrases with question marks because I'm developing this as I write.  I am also thinking to myself, do I need to work on this?  I'm sure I do.  We're human, ergo imperfect.  I guess it's just being aware of it.  Being aware that a snide comment may hurt somebody else.  


It's also knowledge and experience.  I'm sure you have met a person who appeared to be one thing and then you got to talking to them and discovered that they actually were not anything like what you thought about them.  Let me give an example.  A person with big glasses is assumed to be intelligent or to work with computers.  Wait, that actually happened today, I was appalled.  I went to the post office and the person at the front of the line was wearing wide rimmed glasses and he wasn't aware that one of the tellers was available, he probably didn't hear him call "next, please."  So a woman further back in the line yells "Hey, computer boy!"  The guy with the glasses looked at her embarrassed, I don't know this for a fact but maybe he doesn't work with computers?  Everybody was a bit dumbfounded and nobody knew what to do, especially the poor guy with the glasses!   Maybe it's not a good example, but I like it as a story.  


Anyways, all I'm saying is people are way more awesome than we give them credit for if we just go around judging and mis-perceiving people.  You're missing out on a whole lot of cool people if you rule them out for their appearance or age or color or the list goes on and on...


Enjoy life, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment