Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

30 July 2013

Personal relationships trump socially constructed and historically validated relationships

I don't understand people who obsess over or idolize celebrities or other people period.  I am thinking now of the birth of Kate and Prince William's baby.  These people flocked the hospital to experience this "life event," it just seems a bit strange to me.  I cannot take away a powerful event from another person, I do not know what Kate and her pregnancy means to all of the people of the United Kingdom but I can't relate.  I think that an event that occurs in the life of a person whom I know, love and care about is much more significant than that of a public figure or celebrity.  I have had family members get pregnant and yes, I think about them.  I wonder about their health and rejoice when they give birth to healthy babies and they, themselves are well.  However, I cannot understand the fanatic behavior towards someone you have never met in your entire life! Anyways, I think the huffington post did a pretty good job covering the story. 

Power is gained either by historical ties, money or occasionally something we call "talent" (I'm thinking of a lot of Hollywood actors who I do not think are particularly "talented" but might have good looks and/or be at the right place at the right time).  Furthermore, their power is validated by people literally worshiping them.  I guess it's human nature...one's ego is built when others validate and encourage it. It's natural but I don't think it's right.  But maybe we, as a society on the whole need it?  I don't know and I don't have the answers, I just voice my opinion in my humble blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment