Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

08 March 2011

Blind for a Meal

I saw in my Berlin welcome card discount book an advertisment for "unsicht-Bar" reading: "Eating in total darkness is an exciting and unique experience - and a truly unforgettable event! During the evening you will be looked after by our blind and partially sighted staff."

Cool!

I suggested it to my travel companion and he was not excited about it. He thought it sounded weird. Weird is one if those words I don't really understand. Yes this place is not normal, but then, what is normal? I guess eating dinner in pitch black, out at a restaurant is not "normal," but either is jumping off of a bridge with a cable attached to you but I know plenty of people who have done that! I flagged the page in my book and kept reading.

Later in the day, as we walked through a park behind the Brandenburg Gate I said "Okay, I know you don't really want to go to the blind restaurant but I really want to and I'm going to make you." He laughed and said "I think it's going to be really weird, but I want to go."

Way to go "open to try new things" even though they are "weird!"

We arrived and put our coats away and were given a menu written in a riddle, giving vague clues as to what the meal would be. The menus were titled vegetarian, from river and sea, poultry, etc.

We both chose from river and sea. We were met by our blind waitress, Angela who gave us directions as to how things would work. She had one of us put our hands on her shoulders and the other put his/her hands on the others shoulders. She led us into the dining room and when we arrived at our table she took me by the hand and showed (had me feel) the table. We were at that point disconnected from our arm-shoulder chain and my friend said "Wait! Uh, I've lost you!" in a very scared tone. I thought it was super cool because you are forced to rely on someone else for help and even though we knew that this blind feeling was temporary, we freaked out equally.

I felt uncomfortable. I was a bit nauseous and under my ears were tight, right at my jaw. My eyes straining to search for sight, to no avail.

We were brought our first course, salad and more than being delicious, it was a spectacular sensation tasting food that you could not see, nor had prior knowledge as to what it was.

Angela checked on us frequently announcing her presence at the side of the table so as to not frighten us. We spoke a lot. I don't mean over-dinner conversation, I mean with Angela. She would ask if we were finished eating, she would tell us that she was going to take our plate and from what side. It was an amazing lesson in communication.

Afterwards I remember feeling extremely thankful for my eyesight and just everything. Both my friend and I were shocked and impressed by the experience. If you ever have the chance to do something like this, I highly suggest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment