Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

10 May 2011

Galician Cherries

I am always surprised by the fertility of the land here. Well, it rains all the time and for a person coming from California and Syria, this abundant water is incredible to me.

Sunday I went to a friend´s house and she showed me their garden. They had planted (and growing) there: lettuce, spinach, leeks, onions, blackberries, raspberries, tomatoes, cherries, apples, nectarines, hazelnuts, walnuts, oranges, olives, rosemary, thyme, lemon thyme, squash, pumpkins, eggplant, artichokes, and I´m sure I´m forgetting something but you get the picture. This further proves that water is life. There is water here and sun as well, along with good soil, and voilá...food!

Yesterday I went to have lunch with one of my Galician Mommies, I have two :). She brought me a plastic bag full of cherries from her tree. After my lunch of tortilla española with fresh bread, tuna and peppers, I had a café con leche and then sat in the sun with my mamita and ate fresh, homegrown cherries! I just wanted to share that with everybody because I keep getting requests for updates and you guys just want to know about my life, so there you have it, a small detalle (detail) of my life here.

Un beso.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for updating again! I was just thinking about the little potatoes that your dad was growing in the box in his backyard, and how I want to plant a garden next year. Maybe I can throw together a little planter and when you visit this summer you can cook from it.

    Also, remember to take lots of pictures! I can't wait to see all that you keep describing.

    Cuidate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write more, I'm sure you will become in a wonderful writter, you are fantastic. But don´t forget us, we are not going to do that :)

    ReplyDelete