Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

08 June 2011

Wilde Quote

Fellow readers, I really do apologize for my absence, my brother was visiting me and then we were joined by our parents at which point we did a mini tour of Spain after I finished work and moved out of my apartment. As you can imagine, it was hectic.

When I was in Madrid with my brother, we stayed with a friend of a friend and on his bookshelf I found Oscar Wilde´s "The Picture of Dorian Gray." I had picked that book up in the same apartment in December and was captivated by the first page but abandonded the book due to upcoming travels. This time, the owner of the book told me to take it and get it back to him whenever I got the chance. He said "to share a book with someone is splendid. To know that someone else is getting use out of the book is satisfying. Otherwise I feel like it´s a waste of space." Cool philosophy!

So now that my family has left, and my life has settled down, I am reading again. I just wanted to share this quote with you because I can really relate to it.

"You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know." -Lord Henry, pg 28 of Wilde´s "The Picture of Dorian Gray."

I often feel this way, ignorant, there´s so much to know and so little time and I want to be an expert on bee keeping and wine production and speak several languages and astraunomy and biology and you get the picture. However, that doesn´t take away from what I do know, which I often forget.

I think curiousity is a wonderful feeling that we should all strive to keep alive until we die. Otherwise, what are we doing here if not learning and sharing with others what we know, and re-evaluating what we know and listening to others.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment