Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

17 March 2012

Pi Day and St. Patrick's Day!

So I'm a few days late on Pi Day. That was 3.14 (March 14th). Pi, for those of you who don't remember from algebra, is an irrational number. An irrational number is not a number you give an annoying guy at a bar (that's a fake number). An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction that has integers in the numerator and denominator. For example, .75 is a rational number, it can be expressed as 3/4. Most people round pi to 3.14 and know it as the area of a circle = pi*r^2 (which is pi x the radius of the circle, squared).

If you care to see one million digits of pi, click here.

Pi Day is a day when math geeks worldwide celebrate the beauty of irrational numbers and indulge in pie. (I guess there are many days a year that math geeks do that, so maybe pi day is March 14 in countries that write dates as month/day/year, so, in the US). Regardless of what Pi means to you, I think it's a great day to reflect on math and the amazingness of numbers.

I will refrain from my narrative on the beauty of numbers, patterns and how math is an integral part of EVERYTHING WE KNOW.

St. Patrick's Day. March 17th. Two awesome holidays within 3 days of one another. Man, I planned poorly this year, from next year forward, I will be making green pies throughout the whole month of March in honor of St. Pi-trick's days!

I guess I did participate today. My dad and I went to my favorite patisserie and had a pistachio, apricot tart. The pistachio cream was green! I really must carry a camera with me from now on so I can show you my indulgences.

The affair would have been complete if I had measured the length of a slice of tart, squared that number and multiplied it by pi. I would have then had the area of the tart. Next time!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment