Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

09 April 2012

Take time to smell the roses

It's amazing how we often are blind to the beauty that surrounds us. I live in California, on the coast and needless to say, it's gorgeous. I can see the ocean from my house and I see the ocean on my drive to work daily but if I don't make myself, I can go a long time without actually going to the beach! The other day, I was running errands and it was a gorgeous day. The Pacific Ocean was actually pacific (peaceful) and I couldn't help it, I had to go to the beach. It was magnetic. The car drove itself to the beach and I did not resist. I sat on the stone wall that separated the shore from the bike path and watched a father skip rocks with his son, girls tanning on the beach, moms trying to rest as their children dumped cold water on them, basically, your typical beach scene. I sat and just took it all in, I "people watched," relaxed, breathed, just was, and it was really nice.

Beach, to my left (Lover's Point, Pacific Grove)
Beach, to my right (Lover's Point, Pacific Grove)

I think it would be great if we allowed ourselves to do that every so often, even if it was everyday, for just 15 minutes. Stop and take time for yourself, look out at the ocean or the forest or the park and just let go. Let go of the guy who cut you off on the freeway or the person at work who was not-so-friendly to you and just enjoy your surroundings.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about how I never go to the beach, though I live but 3 miles away. We're on the same wavelength Sally!

    Love, CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Monterey Bay! I was climbing hills and you by the ocean-we need 15 minutes a day minimum to meditate and be present with our selves-after all we carry us around all the time! xx

    ReplyDelete