Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

13 October 2012

Gingerbread Latté

The other day I had a gingerbread latté at East Village Coffee Lounge.  It was delicious.  I guess it's one of those things that is truly "American" or "Californian."  It's actually really cool to see how seasonal things become advertising tools.  You know it's fall because Starbucks Coffee and Peet's Coffee and Tea are advertising for "Gingerbread Lattés" or "Pumpkin Spice lattés."  Well I was going to have my usual tea but a little chalk board caught my eye, advertising for gingerbread and pumpkin spice lattés.  This is beyond the marketing giants of Starbucks and Peets, this is little locally owned and operated East Village.  So I ordered a pumpkin spice latté but they were out so I went with the next best thing, gingerbread.  It was great!  Beyond the flavour being delicious, the foam of the milk was nice and thick and mixed just enough with the espresso.

Anyhow, it's a lazy Saturday and I woke up from a nap wanting a gingerbread latté so I set out to make one.  I turned to my trust friend, the internet for a starting out point.  I found one recipe that called for "Gingerbread syrup," right, because if I want to make a gingerbread latté at home, I of course have gingerbread syrup.  Next.  I found a recipe that called for actual ingredients that I had around the pantry.  I messed around with it and came up with the recipe below:

Gingerbread Latté

  • 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. black strap molasses
  • 2 tsp. honey (you could use any sweetener you like, sugar, brown sugar, etc.)
  • 1 shot of espresso 
  • 3/4 of a cup of milk - heated, steamed if you have the capabilities to do so 
Make your espresso in a percolator, what the Italians call a moka (a stovetop coffee maker).  While that's brewing, heat up your milk and set it aside.  In a mug mix the rest of the ingredients, pour the espresso over it and mix it really well so that all the spices get blended and the molasses and honey melt.  Add to that the hot milk.  If you wish, you can sprinkle cinnamon on top or add whipped cream for decor (and deliciousness!) 

Voila! 

No comments:

Post a Comment