Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

05 October 2012

Nature Tax

I was on a morning walk the other morning and I walked past a tree full of apples.  I went over and picked a couple and went along on my walk.  After I got a reasonable distance away, I inspected them. One had a big hole in it and there lay a fat, black momma worm and several of her young.  I threw it to the side of the road and inspected the second one, it was spotless.  I stuck it in my pocket and continued on my walk, pondering this situation.  One could remedy this by spraying some type of pesticide on the apple tree, but I immediately refuted that idea as we're all aware of the harmful effects of pesticides on other wildlife, the environment and ourselves.  I thought of something my friend in Spain had told me.  She had a whole bunch of fruit trees in her yard - cherries, walnuts, plums, apples, pears, figs not to mention the vegetable garden!  I remember walking around her yard with her, going from tree to tree, admiring her crop.  I saw that some of the cherries had bird pecks in them which prompted to me to ask if she sprayed her yard with any sort of insecticide.  She answered very matter-of-factly, "no."  She went on to explain that that was just the price it took to have a fruitful yard.  All the while on my walk I thought of this...I thought when you make money, you pay taxes to a government for it to give you good things, to take care of you, so to speak.  In some parts of the world you pay more taxes than others and in various places you get more goodies for your taxes than in others.  So couldn't animals having at your crop be thought as a tax that you pay to nature?  I mean nature is giving you something good - fruit or vegetables, cereals, etc.  In return, just like you pay taxes to your government for "life goodies," you pay tax to nature for "real goodies" - food!  

No comments:

Post a Comment