Theobroma - Food of the Gods

Tidbits of life from a simple Syrian-Californian girl.

02 November 2012

Passion

So I find it really interesting the conversation surrounding "passion."  My friend, Merriam-Webster, defines passion as "a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept" or "an object of desire or deep interest" (source) (there are some other definitions for the word but for the most commonly used context, I think this is appropriate).  

Now with that said, I would like to talk a little bit about passion.  There is a Spanish song by Bebo and Cigala, a Spanish singer and a Cuban guitarist that sings of a man that is in love with two women.  One is his wife, the mother of his children and the other is the passionate love of his life.  I think of this and I think, why can't those 2 people be the same person?  But then I think of the people I have known and the conversations I have had and many people do not have the courage to pursue passion.  It is like living a convenient life, an easy life.  It is easy or safe to just settle but to have passion you have to suffer.  I think in the society we live in we view suffering as a bad thing but I think that one must suffer to experience the good things in life.  Suffering is another emotion we must endure to feel other sentiments in life.  I don't believe that you would feel truly happy having not felt sad.  Why can't the woman you're married to, the mother of your children also be the woman you are passionately in love with? Why cannot people be happily passionate, why must we settle, why can't we take risks?  I understand why but I don't know why so many people just accept this.   It is easier.  But do you want your life to be easy or thrilling?  Do you want to wake up for the rest of your life just going through the motions or do you want to be happy, excited, passionate about your life?  Crying isn't the worst thing in the world, at least you got to experience something so meaningful in your life that it brought you to tears.   

I could go off on another tangent about the misconception of passion and anger in our society or the poor reception of passion but I will leave that for another post.  I can't tell you the number of times people have said (about me) "what's wrong with you?" or "Why are you so angry?"  It's called passion!! A reason to live something worth my energy, my breath, my time! 

I will leave y'all with my thoughts.  I hope you find passion in your life, I hope you have the courage to pursue your passion and I hope you never settle for anything below your standards for yourself.  When you put your head down on that pillow at night I hope you are happy with the decisions you made during the day or at least can understand why you made those decisions, if you're unhappy I hope you don't repeat those mistakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment